Are you looking for looking for relief from menopause symptoms but are worried about the risks associated with taking hormone therapy (HT)? Chinese medicine has been effectively treating women’s hormonal imbalances for over 2000 years, and provides an effective, natural, safe alternative to HT.
While some women sail through menopause, others suffer from a number of distressing symptoms, including:
- Hot flushes, night sweats
- Sleep disorders such as insomnia, difficulty falling asleep, waking-up frequently, or restless sleep
- Mood swings, irritability, depression, anxiety, or nervousness
- Decreased libido, lack of sexual desire, vaginal dryness
- Menstrual cycle changes, including heavier periods, uterine fibroids, spotting between periods, or skipped cycles, as well as worsening PMS (premenstrual syndrome)
- Fuzzy thinking, decreased or impaired memory and attention
- Increased food cravings, stubborn weight gain, insulin resistance and difficulty controlling blood sugar
- Digestive problems, such as irritable bowel, bloating, or acid reflux
- Cardiac complaints, such as heart arrhythmia, chest pain, palpitations, or heart disease and stroke
- Joint and muscle symptoms, including inflammation, stiffness or pain
- Dizziness, decreased balance, headaches or menstrual migraines
- Breast tenderness, breast cysts, or nipple discharge
- Hair loss; unwanted facial hair growth; dry eyes, skin, or hair; midlife acne
- Pelvic or urinary complaints, including urinary incontinence urinary tract infections (UTI’s), pelvic prolapse,
- Increased allergies and sensitivities, hives
Western medical studies are showing that acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can effectively treat hot flashes, anxiety, insomnia, night sweats, and many other symptoms associated with perimenopause and menopause.
Rather than trying to restore your hormones to the levels they were in your 20s or 30s, Chinese medicine works to smooth your transition by nourishing the kidney system and bringing your body into balance.
The extent of your symptoms has a lot to do with your basic health before and during menopause. If you are overworked, not getting enough rest, eating a diet which produces inflammation, or suffering from anxiety and worry, you will likely have more severe symptoms. In addition, everyone is increasingly exposed to environmental toxins and endocrine disruptors that aggravate hormonal imbalances.
Acupuncture brings your hormones into balance and reduces anxiety through a process called homeostatic regulation. It has been shown to improve the function of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which is the mechanism responsible for balancing reproductive hormones.
Herbal therapy is used to tone and replenish deficiencies and stimulate your own hormonal production.
Your acubalance practitioner will do a thorough evaluation in order to diagnose your own particular pattern and come up with a treatment plan. Your personal treatment plan would typically include acupuncture and herbal therapy designed to treat your specific condition. In addition, your practitioner can provide coaching on ways you can take charge of your own health and wellbeing.